How to Get Rid of Mold on a Painted Ceiling

Mold is a type of fungus that can begin to grow on painted ceilings in your home, especially if your home is excessively moist. Water is essential for mold growth, so mold tends to grow in humid areas such as bathrooms or laundry rooms. When moisture settles on your ceiling, mold can begin to develop there. Remove it carefully so that you don't scratch the paint off your ceiling.

...
Be careful when cleaning a painted ceiling.

Step 1

Close the door in the room, and open a window. This ventilates the room while you are working but prevents the mold spores from moving throughout your home.

Step 2

Put on goggles or glasses to protect your eyes. This is necessary whenever you spray a liquid cleaner on the ceiling because it can drip into your eyes while you clean.

Step 3

Fill a spray bottle with white vinegar, and spray it over the mold surface. Let it sit for 20 minutes.

Step 4

Wipe the mold off the ceiling with a clean cloth.

Step 5

Dip a soft-bristle brush into white vinegar, and scrub it over any mold that is still visible. Be careful not to wear off the paint on the ceiling.

Step 6

Rinse the area with water, and dry the ceiling completely. Don't let it air dry, because this can encourage more mold growth.