Black mold grows in damp areas of homes and buildings. It can be found on foods, in bathroom corners, and even on carpets and furniture. Black mold can cause very serious health problems such as severe allergic reactions and mycotoxicosis, which is mold poisoning. Coughing, vomiting, shortness of breath, memory loss and more can be caused by ingesting or inhaling mold, or even touching it. You can remove black mold from your home by following a few simple steps. However, if there is rampant black mold throughout your home, you may wish to hire professionals to do the clean up.
Identify and repair the problem that caused the mold. If there is mold on your basement floor or walls, look for cracks in your foundation and fill them. If there are no cracks, look for water leaking out of your hot water tank. If there is mold on your house's walls or ceilings, check for broken water pipes and repair them. If you live in a very humid environment, you may just need to purchase a dehumidifier.
Seal the doors, ducts and vents of the room you are cleaning. Turn off your HVAC (Heating, Ventilation and Air Conditioning) system and use an exhaust fan near an open window to direct air flow outside. Mold spores spread through the air so work in one room at a time and keep it completely sealed off from other areas with plastic sheeting and duct tape, cutting the sheeting to size with the scissors.
Put on your goggles, gloves, and respirator. Put on your PPE suit if you are going to wear one.
Mist the surface to be cleaned with water to reduce dry airborne mold. Scrub the area with soap and water. Remove as much mold as possible by scrubbing.
Apply a mold killing cleaner to kill any mold that remains. Make sure to clean a large area around the actual affected spot, as mold spores are microscopic and may not be apparent to the naked eye. Once a surface has been cleaned thoroughly and you have applied the mold killer, dry it completely. You can use a hair dryer for smaller areas. If any spores have been missed they will re-germinate if the area is not dry.
Once you have cleaned the affected area you should remove your clothing and place it in a plastic garbage bag along with any sponges, wash cloths and towels that you used to clean mold. Wash these items separately from other laundry. Make sure that you wash your shoes as well.