How to Remove Mold From Plaster

Mold spores are always present in the environment. Household mold is typically caused by an area of moisture such as a leak or flooding. Mold can cause serious health effects including inflammation, allergies and infections. More than 50 types of molds have been proven to cause adverse effects in humans. Care must be taken to remove all mold spores to prevent it from spreading to a larger area.

Step 1

Put on protective eye wear, gloves and mask. Mold spores can be inhaled or absorbed through the skin. Wearing the proper safety gear minimizes exposure.

Step 2

Apply non-ammonia soap directly to the molded areas and wash with sponge. No dilution is necessary.

Step 3

Use a spray bottle filled with a diluted solution of 10% household bleach to generously spray the entire moldy surface. You may use a drop cloth to protect the surface of the floor from the bleach and the moisture.

Step 4

Let the bleach solution dry naturally without wiping or use of a fan to speed up the drying process. The mold should not be visible. If it is, repeat steps for removal or call a professional.