Black mold is a type of toxic plant fungus that rapidly decays organic matter in nature. This breaking down process allows nutrients from dead leaves and trees to enrich the soil. Because black mold cannot differentiate between organic matter outside or inside your home, it can actually begin to grow in your home and decay your carpets, floorboards or textiles. You can remove the mold with cleaning solutions, or you can kill it with temperature. You can kill black mold by burning it, but this may not be the best option for you.

Temperature

Few mold-cleaning solutions actually kill the mold spores. Most of them remove the spores from your home so that you can dispose of them. Theses spores will eventually become active somewhere else. You can, however, burn black mold spores to kill them. To do this, raise the temperature of the black mold above 150 degrees Fahrenheit, which you can do by placing oven-safe objects in a hot oven or by burning loose wood in a fire.

Safety

When mold decays or when it dies, it off-gases volatile organic compounds (VOCs). These VOCs can decay the mucus membranes in the central nervous system and can cause people to lose memory, get headaches and have a hard time concentrating. Theses symptoms, however, generally only occur for susceptible individuals who are around a lot of VOCs over a long period. Thus, you can burn a few objects that have black mold, but you should not be around the flames for a prolonged period.

Prevention

Prevent black mold from growing in the first place by lowering the moisture content of your home. Black mold needs moisture to survive, and it will only grow in areas with high humidity, such as bathrooms, basements and laundry rooms. Install a dehumidifier or a better ventilation system to clean out water vapor quickly.

Alternatives

If your black mold growth is very slight, you can prevent it from growing out of control by using a cleaning solution. While you can burn slight black mold growth, this is often a drastic measure to take for killing small growth. Use a vinegar or a bleach-based cleaning solution. Vinegar is all-natural, but it may not be as intensive as bleach, which can be toxic.