How to Use Salt to Remove Creosote

Creosote is a term used to describe the buildup of soot and debris resulting from burning wood in your fireplace. The texture is black and oily. If not cleaned properly or regularly, creosote can be dangerous; it is highly flammable and is sometimes the result of chimney fires that spread to other parts of the home. There are products available to clean fireplaces and chimneys, but a simple salt-soap solution and a little elbow grease will do the job less expensively. You should never use an abrasive cleaner on the fireplace because dangerous chemicals can leave a flammable residue.

Step 1

Mix soap, salt and water together in the bucket. Add water slowly, a little at a time until you reach a thick consistency like cream.

Step 2

Rub mixture into brick surface with your cloth.

Step 3

Allow mixture to dry for at least 10 minutes. Remove residue with a stiff brush.