Things You'll Need
Add a dehumidifier to your basement to remove moisture and prevent mushroom growth. Also consider placing circular fans in the basement to keep air circulating.
Fungi in the basement can be a serious problem. Mold is also a form of mushroom or fungi which can quickly take over the basement if allowed. The most common cause of mushrooms and mold growing in the basement is the presence of excess moisture. Moisture will cause wood and other particles to decay, making the ideal habitat for mushrooms and mold. Fungi will grow on wood, dirt, paper and even soap scum. Although major infestation may need professional guidance, there are a few tricks you can try to remove the fungi from your basement.
Put on a respirator, gloves and eyeglasses when working to prevent spores from getting into your lungs. This can cause an allergic reaction.
Remove visible mushroom heads by pulling them up as close to the surface they are growing on as possible.
Scrub the area with a nonammonia soap. Allow the surface to dry.
Vacuum the surface with a HEPA grade vacuum to remove all dirt particles from the area.
Sand wood areas that have the mushrooms growing on them to remove the spores, if scrubbing has not removed the spot. Sand using 80 grit sandpaper to slowly remove layers of wood until clean.
Disinfect the surface with a mixture of bleach and water. Mix 1/4 cup bleach into 1 gallon of water in a bucket. Rub the surface with the solution and allow to stay wet for 15 minutes so that it has a chance to work on the spores. Rinse the surface with water and allow to dry.
Cleveland Van Cecil
Cleveland Van Cecil is a freelancer writer specializing in technology. He has been a freelance writer since 2008 and has published extensively online, writing articles on subjects as diverse as boat motors and hydroponic gardening. Van Cecil has a Bachelor of Arts in liberal arts from Baldwin-Wallace College.