Unsightly toxic mold causes numerous respiratory problems. Mold proliferates on almost any surface it comes into contact with, and thrives in warm, moist conditions. When cleaning plaster walls contaminated with mold, take proper precautions to prevent inhaling and spreading the spores to other areas.
Open any windows and turn on a fan facing outside if possible. This directs airborne mold spores out of the room.
Turn off the air conditioning while cleaning to prevent spreading the mold throughout the building.
Put on a respirator, rubber gloves and safety goggles before cleaning.
Fill a bucket with one gallon hot water and 1/2 cup all-purpose cleaner. Dip a sponge or cloth into the water and wring it out.
Scrub the moldy plaster walls thoroughly with the sponge or cloth. Empty and refill the bucket with new soapy water when necessary.
Empty the bucket and rinse it out with hot water. Fill it with warm water and use new sponges or cloths to rinse the walls.
Fill a bucket with 1 1/2 cup bleach and one gallon of warm water. Dip a new sponge or cloth into the bleach solution.
Wipe the plaster walls with the bleach solution. Thoroughly soak the walls to kill all of the mold spores.
Air-dry the walls for six to eight hours. Keep the area ventilated and free of any excess moisture.
Dispose of or clean any materials and clothing used while cleaning the mold.