Things You'll Need
Plastic Spray Bottle
Plastic Scrubber Sponge
Powder Laundry Detergent
Rubber Or Latex Gloves
Keep cleaning solution from dripping onto carpeting or floors. Prevent mildew by using exhaust fans when cooking and showering. Throw open windows often to decrease humidity. See How to Troubleshoot Mold on Interior Walls for more ways to prevent mildew.
Always wear rubber gloves when cleaning with bleach. Make sure the room is well ventilated to avoid inhaling hazardous bleach fumes.
Seeing fuzzy black or green spots on a bathroom wall or kitchen ceiling? Chances are it's mildew--the common name for the various spores that are both a health hazard and a homeowner's nightmare. Once inside walls and ceilings, mildew is tough to remove. Send these nasty interlopers packing quickly.
Wear rubber or latex gloves. Spray the wall with a solution of 1/2 cup (4 fl oz/125 ml) chlorine bleach, 1/3 cup (3 fl oz/80 ml) powder laundry detergent and 1 gallon (4 l) hot water, working from the base of the wall up. (Or you can use a commercial mildewcide, though it's much more expensive than mixing your own.)
Gently scrub away surface mildew using a plastic scrubber sponge.
Using the scrubber sponge, rinse thoroughly with fresh water.
Once dry, consider applying a coat of paint containing an antimildew agent so you don't have to do this again any time soon.
Wear rubber or latex gloves. Dip a scrubber sponge in a bucket filled with a solution of 1/2 cup (4 fl oz/125 ml) chlorine bleach, 1/3 cup (3 fl oz/80 ml) powder laundry detergent and 1 gallon (4 l) hot water. (Or you can use a commercial mildewcide, but it's much more expensive than mixing your own.) Squeeze out the excess.
Standing on a stepladder, carefully scrub the affected areas.
Fill the bucket with fresh water. Using the scrubber sponge, rinse thoroughly.
Once dry, consider applying an anti-mildew paint.