How to Remove Black Mold. Mold is a problem that can stick around forever if not treated properly the first time. Black mold is very toxic and can cause sickness and even death in certain cases. Removing mold completely is the only way to rid your home of the spores and dust. Learn how to remove black mold and keep your home safe.
Identify and remove the source of the moisture problem. Mold can occur in obvious situations such as flooding or a water leak, but it can also grow in areas with high levels of humidity. Slow leaks, leaks behind walls and humidity build-up can all contribute to black mold. Mold only needs 24 hours to germinate and grow.
Seal the contaminated room by placing heavy sheets of plastic over doorways, vents and other openings. Seal these with heavy duct tape so that the mold dust can not escape to other areas of the home. Mold spores spread very easily through dust and are stirred when being cleaned. Place an exhaust fan near an outdoor opening to help remove the mold spores from the room.
Use soap and a sponge to clean away visible mold. If the moldy area is dry, lightly mist enough water to dampen the area. Dry mold becomes airborne very easily and dampening the mold lessens the possibility of spores drifting.
Clean the entire area with a disinfectant to kill the remaining mold spores. Clean areas that had visible mold, along with all other areas. Mold spores are very small and may not be seen but can remain on surfaces for months or years. Disinfectants for use on mold can be found in hardware stores. You may use bleach, but be make sure it won't discolor the material or surface.
Put mold, sponges and any materials coming in contact with moldy surfaces into heavy-duty garbage bags. Take them to the nearest exit, not through a clean house, so the mold spores won't contaminate clean areas.