Fungus occurs in many homes as blackish residue commonly referred to as mold or mildew. Apart from staining or damaging walls and other surfaces, it also poses a health hazard for people with mold allergies. When an outbreak occurs, it is important to kill the fungi as quickly as possible to keep it from permanently damaging your home and health. When correctly applied, bleach will kill fungi in less than one day and inhibit its return, but it is also important to address the cause of the fungal infestation to keep it from coming back.
Put on rubber gloves before working with bleach since it can irritate skin. Wear clothing that you don't mind staining or bleaching. Wear protective goggles if your eyes are sensitive to chemicals.
Open all the windows in the area where you will be using bleach to improve ventilation, which will help protect you from the fumes. Also consider wearing a respirator mask as a safety precaution. Lay drop cloths over any rugs or furniture near where you will be working.
Mix one part bleach with 10 parts water inside a spray bottle to create a strong cleaning solution. Gently shake or swirl the liquid to combine it.
Spray the bleach solution onto the visible fungus. Thoroughly saturate the area with the solution. Let it sit for 10 to 15 minutes.
Rub the area with a nylon scrubber or a sponge with a scrubbing pad affixed to the back. Apply gentle pressure and rub in a circular motion until the fungus is lifted.
Fill a second spray bottle with hot water. Spray the bleach-coated area to rinse the residue away. Wipe off the water with a rag.
Apply a second coat of the bleach solution. Immediately wipe off the excess but do not rinse it away since the residue will continue to act on the fungus and will kill the remaining spores.