Basements are a prime location for mold and mildew growth. To stop your basement from smelling musty and to protect your family's health, you should remove any mold from the walls and floor right away.
While wearing rubber gloves and eye protection, spray the mold on the basement wall and floor so it is damp and then rub it away with a sponge. You can use a combination of laundry detergent and water to help clean away the mold, according to North Dakota State University.
After removing the mold, you need to disinfect the area. For most smooth surfaces, a combination of one-half cup bleach to one gallon of water works. For a basement with wood walls or concrete floors, use one cup bleach to one gallon water. Wipe down the affected area well, allowing the bleach mixture to sit for about 15 minutes.
To ensure there is no lingering musty mold odor in your basement, sprinkle chlorinated lime on the floor. The powder will absorb moisture and the odor. Allow the powder to remain until all traces of the odor are gone, then sweep it up, suggests the University of Georgia.