Medium density fiberboard--also known as MDF--is a popular building material for cabinet speakers, cupboards and bookcases. If the unpainted MDF becomes wet or damp, mold and mildew can begin to grow. The mold and mildew can be an eyesore as well as fill your home with spores that can spread the mold to other areas. If mold and mildew is left untreated, it can deteriorate the MDF beyond repair. Fortunately, you can remove the mold and mildew from unpainted MDF with a few household items.
Equip yourself with a pair of rubber gloves, an N-95 respirator and safety goggles without vent holes. This is the proper safety gear for the mold removal process.
Open the doors and windows in the area to allow for proper air ventilation and circulation. This will also help with the drying process.
Wipe the surface mold and mildew from the unpainted MDF with a damp cloth.
Fill a five-gallon bucket with lukewarm water. Add one cup of bleach and ¼ cup of mild dish-washing liquid.
Saturate a clean sponge in the bleach-water mixture.
Scrub the MDF with the sponge. Scrub the parts the moldy areas as well as the surrounding areas.
Allow the mixture to sit on the MDF for 15 minutes.
Fill a container with cool water. Saturate a clean cloth in the water. Rinse the MDF by wiping it down with the cloth.
Allow the MDF to air dry. Position fans in the direction of the MDF to help in the drying process.