When moisture sits on windowsills, it creates a breeding ground for mold to grow. Black mold can create stains on the windowsill and it can deteriorate the wood. Mold also leaves behind an unpleasant odor. Once you notice the black mold on the windowsill, remove it as soon as possible to prevent it from spreading. Mold can cause health issues to both humans and pets, so remove it properly to prevent an illness.
Wear a mask and gloves to protect your health. The mold spores can cause illnesses.
Open the window to allow ventilation. Examine the window carefully for areas of black mold.
Fill a clean spray bottle with white distilled vinegar. Spray the vinegar on the black mold and allow it to sit for 10 to 15 minutes.
Scrub the mold with a soft-bristled brush. This will help remove it from the windowsill.
Wipe the black mold off the windowsill with a damp washcloth. Rinse the windowsill with clean water. Dry the windowsill completely.
Create a solution of 9 parts water with 1 part bleach if you still notice the mold. Spray the solution onto the black mold and allow it to sit for 30 minutes.
Scrub the windowsill with a sponge. Rinse the solution off the windowsill with clean water.
Wipe the surface with a towel to dry it completely.