Things You'll Need
3 percent hydrogen peroxide
Mold is a serious problem that many homeowners deal with on a regular basis. Mold thrives and breeds in damp, dim and humid locations and will quickly spread to other areas via spores it releases into the air. Fortunately, you can remove mold with a variety of common household items. Hydrogen peroxide is an effective and inexpensive mold killer that is safer then chlorine bleach. When you find mold growing in your home, remove it as quickly as possible to prevent further staining or damage to the surface the fungus is growing on.
Fill a spray bottle with three percent hydrogen peroxide. You can find hydrogen peroxide in the health and beauty section of department stores.
Spray the mold with hydrogen peroxide and let the peroxide sit for 10 to 15 minutes. The peroxide will begin to bubble. This reaction is normal when peroxide comes in contact with dirt and bacteria.
Wipe the mold off the surface with a damp cloth. Repeat the process until you have removed all the mold.
Dampen a cloth with warm, soapy water. Wipe the surface with the cloth and dry with a towel.
Amanda Flanigan began writing professionally in 2007. Flanigan has written for various publications, including WV Living and American Craft Council, and has published several eBooks on craft and garden-related subjects. Flanigan completed two writing courses at Pierpont Community and Technical College.