Mold can be a problem in any damp, humid or otherwise moist environment. When it gets on leather goods, such as a leather jacket, saddle or leather shoes, the mold can eat away at the leather leaving behind damage or ruined leather that is not usable.
Put on a respirator, rubber gloves and eye protection. Mold allergies are common, according to Medline Plus. Wearing protection prevents allergic reactions to the mold. The gloves also prevent irritation to skin from the rubbing alcohol and cleaner.
Mix 1 part water with 1 part rubbing alcohol in a bowl or bucket. Dip the cloth into the mixture and wring it out well. The cloth should be damp.
Gently rub the leather with the cloth. Rinse the cloth out whenever it is covered in mold spores, typically after cleaning every section that is equal in size to the cloth.
Apply the soap and rub it into the leather if the rubbing alcohol and water alone are not enough to completely clean the mold from the leather. Leather soaps are ideal, such as those used for horse saddles, but a mild detergent soap will work as well. Wipe the soap away with plain water on a cloth.
Place the leather under a fan where it has plenty of air. Ideally, the leather should be hung to ensure all sides are aired out. Put the leather away only after it has dried completely.