You may have come upon some old money laying in a closet or you might possess antique money that's a collector's item. As with clothing and furniture, mold can accumulate on money if the money was damp at some point. If you wish to hold onto that money, you need to clean the mold from the bills. Removing mold from money is something you can do using two items that may already be in your home.
Wipe any visible portions of mold away from the money. Do this using a paper towel or wash cloth. If you use a cloth, be sure to wash the cloth immediately.
Fill a bowl or small bucket with three cups white vinegar and one-third cup liquid dish soap.
Place the money in the bowl. Make sure that it is fully submerged.
Soak the money into the solution for roughly 15 to 20 minutes.
Rinse the money with clean water.
Place the money on a clean, dry towel or hang the money so it can air dry. Make sure that the money is completely dry before you put it away.