Is it Safe to Leave a Self-Cleaning Oven Unattended?

Cleaning a stove manually involves messy scrubbing, toxic chemicals and a lot of elbow grease. Therefore, the self-cleaning oven was introduced. This option allows the oven to clean itself using extremely high temperatures to burn off the debris. Self-cleaning ovens are convenient and generally safe, but they should not be left unattended during the cleaning operation for many safety reasons.

Leaving a self-cleaning oven unattended is not wise.

Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

Small amounts of carbon monoxide are released from an oven every time it is used. The high temperature required for self-cleaning operation can produce higher levels. It's a good idea to install a carbon monoxide detector in your home and to provide adequate ventilation when self-cleaning your oven.

Release of Smoke and Fumes

The self-cleaning process requires ovens to operate at sustained temperatures of 1000 degrees and higher in order to burn off food and grease. This can cause smoke and fumes to be released, which are toxic, especially to small birds.

Fire Hazard

In January 2010, several models of Thermador ovens were recalled by the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission due to a defect that could potentially cause a kitchen fire during the self-cleaning process. Self-cleaning oven doors must be securely locked prior to operation to minimize the risk of fire.