How to Fix a Carbon Monoxide Leak

If you suspect that you have a carbon monoxide leak, it is important to act quickly. Carbon monoxide is a dangerous poison. It is odorless, colorless and tasteless, and the symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning are easy to mistake for other common illnesses. Even levels as low as 10,000 parts per million or a one percent concentration in the air you breath is enough to kill in less than 10 minutes.

...
A carbon monoxide detector can warn you about a leak.

Step 1

Check the levels on your carbon monoxide detector. If you don't already have a detector, purchase one.

Step 2

Open all your windows and doors to ensure good ventilation. If you have a fan, set it up so that it pulls fresh air inside. While the air is clearing, wait outside.

Step 3

Turn off any appliances that may be the source of the leak. Possibilities include anything with a flame such as a stove, furnace or fireplace. Automobile exhaust is another potent source of carbon dioxide.

Step 4

Call the fire department and wait outside for them to arrive. Do not try to fix the leak yourself. If it is still leaking, the concentrations of carbon monoxide can be extremely high in the area. Wait for the firemen to locate the leak. They will let you know when it is safe to return to the building.