Sulfur dioxide is a potentially hazardous material that must be handled carefully. It's generally used in households as a refrigerant, solvent or bleaching material. Take all possible measures to avoid either a sulfur dioxide gas leak or a liquid spill. Both the liquid and the gas can be extremely dangerous and can be identified by a foul "rotten egg" smell. Health issues that can be caused by exposure include irritation of eyes, nose, throat, skin and lungs, as well as shortness of breath, coughing spasms and fluid in the lungs. Getting rid of sulfur dioxide properly is essential to avoid these health issues.
Wear eye goggles, gloves and a face mask before handling the liquid sulfur dioxide. Do not let the sulfur dioxide come into contact with your skin.
Ventilate any area where sulfur dioxide is exposed by opening windows and vents immediately.
Add an absorbent material, such as clay-based cat litter, soda ash or dry lime, to a liquid sulfur dioxide spill to soak it up.
Wait for all of the sulfur dioxide liquid to be absorbed and add more absorbent material if necessary.
Put the material that has absorbed the liquid sulfur dioxide into a container and seal it tightly.
Add a label to the container that says, "Sulfur Dioxide: Hazardous Material."
Dispose of the sulfur dioxide container through your local hazardous waste department. Never wash it down a sewer line, dump it on the ground or dispose of it with regular trash.