Over-chlorinated pools pose a health risk to swimmers. Chlorine that is absorbed through the skin and breathed in around the pool can cause numerous health problems, including dry and irritated skin as well as more serious lung and breathing problems. A general rule of thumb regarding chlorine pools is that if you can smell the chlorine, there is too much in the water; however, the only sure way to know if a pool is over-chlorinated is to test it.
Use a pool test kit to determine how much chlorine has been put into the water. Acceptable levels of chlorine are between 1.5 and 3 parts per million (ppm). Anything above 3 ppm is too much, and the test will indicate that the pool is hyper-chlorinated.
Do not add any more chlorine to the pool for several days. Depending on how much chlorine is in the pool, you may need to wait up to a week before the chlorine level returns to normal.
Add water to your swimming pool. Clean, fresh water will help dilute the amount of chlorine that is in the pool and make it safer to swim in it more quickly.
Leave the pool uncovered during the day. Sunlight helps to break down chlorine and will return the chlorine level to normal more quickly.
Keep the pool clean and free of debris that may alter the chemical balances of the pool. Remove bugs, leaves and twigs with a skimmer.
Check the chemical levels of your pool daily with a pool test kit to monitor the chlorine levels.