Safety of Damprid

DampRid is a household product that prevents mold and mildew development by absorbing excess moisture in the air. The active ingredient in DampRid, calcium chloride, is considered nontoxic and does not emit noxious gases or fumes.

Effects

DampRid can cause skin and minor respiratory irritation. There is no stated information in the Material Data Safety Sheet indicating that the ingredients in DampRid are carcinogenic or cancer-causing. In addition, there are no known chronic health effects caused by DampRid.

Considerations

Always wash your hands after using DampRid because small amounts of the product can be ingested through transmission from your fingers to your mouth. Even if small amounts of DampRid are ingested, no internal or systemic injury will occur.

Warning

DampRid needs to be kept away from children. When it contacts eyes, it can cause irritation. If you get DampRid in your eyes, call your doctor and flush your eyes for 15 minutes with large amounts of cool water.


Meadow Milano

Meadow Milano has been a registered nurse for over 20 years, with extensive experience in emergency nursing, labor and delivery and general medicine. She has written numerous articles for nursing publications pertaining to health and medicine, and enjoys teaching in the clinical setting.