Elimination Methods of Static Electricity From Glass

You touch the screen of the television and get a shock, or you pull off your hat and your hair stands up. The phenomenon is known as static electricity. When insulators rub against each other, move or separate, it creates static electricity. Glass has a static charge build up on the surface which will eventually exert an electrical force. The electrical force will attract objects with no charge or very little charge, which is static electricity.

Static electricity commonly becomes active on television screens or glass.


One of the best ways to eliminate static electricity from glass, computer or television screens is grounding. Most outlets and appliance plugs have a grounding wire, which helps eliminate static electricity. You can also use a grounding strap on your wrist to prevent the static electricity from shocking you when working on electrical products, including glass products. A ground pulls the electrical charge produced from static electricity away from the body.


Static electricity can be eliminated by increasing the humidity in a room.

Static electricity forms more readily in dry conditions. The humidity is generally lower in winter, which is why static electricity is more active during the winter months. By increasing the humidity in the room, the static electricity will be eliminated from glass. Using a humidifier in the home will increase the humidity and help eliminate static electricity on glass. A less expensive way to increase humidity is to have plants inside the house.


Anti-static spray is available at many retail outlets. Spraying the glass with these anti-static products will eliminate the static electricity on glass. The product is the same as the products that prevent static cling when you use your clothes dryer. It is unknown if continual use of anti-spray products will stain the glass or how long it will last.


One other method of eliminating static electricity from glass is to clean the material with a glass cleaner. Before using the glass cleaner, moisturize your skin. Moisturizer and lotions keep your skin moist. Dry skin cause the buildup of static charges. If you keep your hands moist during cleaning, it will help eliminate the shock received from static electricity build-up on glass.