If you have located white or black mold in your home it is important that you kill it. Mold could make people sick. According to the Illinois Department of Public Health, mold causes illnesses ranging from a runny nose to pneumonia. Killing mold spores prevents the likelihood that you will become ill due to exposure to mold.
Put on a face mask to prevent breathing in fumes from prolonged exposure to acetone.
Mix a 50-50 solution of water and acetone in a spray bottle if you are killing mold in small places. Use a 5-gallon bucket if doing a large area such as basement walls.
Spray a moderate amount of the solution onto the mold-affected areas or use a mop to apply the solution to the large area. Allow the solution to air dry.
Apply a second coat of solution to the affected area and then wipe clean with a towel or rag.
Place any towels, rags or mop heads you used outside and allow them to air dry. This dissipates the acetone from the material.
Place any towels, rags or mop heads you used in a garbage bag and dispose of the bag.