Owning a home comes with much responsibility, which includes maintenance to prevent major problems from occurring. However, when problems go unnoticed or are unseen, a major issue such as mold can develop. Various options are available to deal with mold if it appears. One such option involves using a mold fogger. Mold foggers are environmentally safe, but you will need to take precautions when using the device.

Preparation

If you decided to use a mold fogger, you will need to prepare your home first. The most important thing is to fix the problem that caused the mold to occur. This can include repairing or patching a water leak or reducing the humidity levels in your home. When that's taken care of, make sure the area is completely dry by using a dehumidifier or a fan, then enclose the area with plastic. Enclosing the area will prevent the mold from spreading to other parts of your house. Place the fogger in the area of your home that contains mold, then add the solution to the machine by following the instructions provided.

Available Products

Mold-fogging treatment is available in various types. One type designed for pre-treatment or prevention is a product called Concrobium Mold Control. The product sprays a mist that coats surfaces exposing mold. You can find the product, and a fogging machine for rent, at any Home Depot Tool Rental Center. The rented fogger unit requires the use of a grounded three-prong socket. If you have only a two-prong socket available, you will need a grounded three-prong to two-prong adapter.

Running the Fogger

Turn on the filled fogger and let it run for at least 30 to 45 minutes for best results. Set a timer to keep track of the time. You will need to check the fluid level periodically to make sure that the machine does not run out. A respirator with a full face mask should be used when entering a room or area if the machine is currently running or if residue is in the air. When the fogger has finished, allow the product to dry for at least 8 to 10 hours before re-occupying your home. You should also open all windows to properly ventilate the area to make sure the product has been fully dissipated.