What Is a Lock Hasp?

Hunker may earn compensation through affiliate links in this story.
Padlock hasps and latches.
Image Credit: Medioimages/Photodisc/Photodisc/Getty Images

When you read about locks and lock mechanisms, several terms may be new and confusing. The term "lock hasp" can be especially confusing, because it may refer to more than one thing.

On a Padlock

The U-shaped metal bar is called the hasp or shackle.
Image Credit: Thomas Northcut/Photodisc/Getty Images

The term "lock hasp" may refer to the metal loop protruding from a padlock. On a padlock, the U-shaped metal bar that releases when unlocked is sometimes called the hasp, but it is more commonly referred to as the shackle.

Fastening Latch

Example of a common hasp fastening latch.
Image Credit: TheYok/iStock/Getty Images

The term "lock hasp" may also refer to the style of latch most often used with a padlock. This latch uses a strip of metal on a hinge with a hole on the other end. Through this hole passes the staple, which looks similar to a link of metal chain. This staple passes through the hole, and it is secured with a padlock.


Roots and History

Lock and hasp.
Image Credit: Image Source White/Image Source/Getty Images

The word "hasp" has its origins in Old English and Old High German, and it refers to any sort of fastening latch. This style of latch has been used for centuries, and it may be plain or decorative in design.



Brian Westover

Brian Westover is a freelance writer, editor and publication designer. He has been writing professionally since 2006, and has written for businesses, blogs, newsletters, and individuals. He is currently studying communications and journalism at Brigham Young University - Idaho.