Not for the faint of heart or the inexperienced, the Stihl 044 chain saw is designed to tackle "extraordinary cutting needs," according to the manufacturer. Because this saw has a higher kickback potential than other models, it should be approached with caution even by confident users. But if your chain saw training and skill level are a "cut" above the average, this model can handle the big jobs you have.
A review of this tool's specifications gives you a shopping guide for replacement parts or helps you decide if it's a right fit for you to purchase.
A single-cylinder, two-stroke engine powers the Stihl 044.
- Piston displacement: 4.31 cubic inches
- Cylinder bore: 1.97 inches
- Piston stroke: 1.42 inches
- Idle speed: 2,500 rpm
- Maximum speed (cut-off speed): 13,500 rpm
Stihl's standard all-position diaphragm carburetor maintains a consistent fuel level to ensure the chain saw operates smoothly at all angles. Unlike conventional carburetors that have a "float" to sense the fuel level, Stihl's integral fuel pump takes its cue from the flexible disk, called a diaphragm, to detect the need for sending more fuel to the carburetor.
Air filters. The choice of air filters to keep airborne particles out of the carburetor depends on operating conditions:
- A standard wire mesh air filter is suitable for normal operating conditions and winter use.
- A protective felt prefilter covers a heavy-duty filter, suitable for dry and dusty work areas.
Fuel mixture: The Stihl 044 uses a fuel mixture of gasoline and oil with a 50:1 ratio -- mix 50 parts of gasoline with 1 part oil.
Fuel tank capacity: 1.69 pints
Oil tank capacity: 0.7 pint
The ignition system is a breakerless electronic magneto-type.
Spark Plugs (Suppressed)
- Type: Bosch WSR 6 F or NGK BPMR 7 A
- Heat range: 200
- Electrode gap: 0.02 inch
- Spark plug thread: M14 x 1.25, 0.37 inch long
Bars and Chains
A chain saw is not a static cutting tool. The gasoline-powered engine moves the chain around a guide bar, and the embedded teeth in the chain cut the wood. The Stihl 044 is designed for different types and sizes of bars and chains.
- Bars: Stihl reduced kickback bar with 3/8-inch pitch -- Rollomatic with sprocket nose.
- Lengths: 16, 18 or 20 inches.
- Chains: Stihl low-kickback chain for 3/8-inch pitch -- Rapid-Micro 2 (33 RM 2, 36 RM 2).
- Chain sprocket: seven-tooth for 3/8-inch pitch spur sprocket.
- Bars: Rollomatic "S" with sprocket nose (16, 18, 20, 24, 28, 30, 32 or 36 inches) or Duromatic with Stellite-tipped nose (16, 18, 20 or 24 inches).
- Chains (3/8-inch pitch): Topic-Micro (36 TM), Topic-Super (33 TS, 36 TS), Rapid-Micro (33 RM, 36 RM, 33 RMF), Rapid-Super (33 RS, 33 RS 1, 36 RS, 36 RS 1, 33 RSL, 36 RSL, 33 RSF, 33 RSLF, 36 RSLH).
- Chain sprocket: 8-tooth for 3/8 -inch rim sprocket.
- Rear hand guard. Helps protect the operator's right hand.
- Front hand guard. The hand guard helps protect the hands from branches and keeps the left hand away from a slipped chain. The hand guard is also the lever that activates the chain brake.
- Chain brake. In case of chain saw kickback, the brake stops the chain from rotating.
- Chain catcher. Reduces injury in case the chain breaks or comes off the bar.