When gas spills on your wood floors, not only will it leave a smelly stain but it can also become a fire and health hazard. The gas fumes are flammable, and will cause health problems that range from mild to severe. Overexposure to the fumes may cause dizziness, headaches and nausea. In extreme cases, gas fumes may cause brain damage. To prevent damage to the wood floor as well as your health, remove gas spills and its fumes as soon as possible.
Open windows in the home to help ventilate the gas odors. Sprinkle powdered laundry detergent over the spilled gas. The detergent will absorb the gas and help remove odors.
Scoop the saturated detergent carefully off the wood floors with a plastic spatula and discard it in a trashcan. Keep scooping the detergent until you have removed all the spilled gas off the floor.
Add 1/4 cup of trisodium phosphate with 1 gallon of lukewarm water. Mix the TSP and water with a spoon. Moisten a lint-free cloth in the mixture and wipe the lingering gas off the floor with the cloth.
Rinse the cleaning solution off the floor with a clean lint-free cloth dampened with cool water. Wipe dry with a lint-free towel.
Dampen a sponge in white vinegar and wipe the wood floor. Let the vinegar dry on the wood floor to remove lingering gas odors.