Chimney fires can become a problem in fireplaces, as well as wood burning stoves. These fires often occur as a result of creosote buildup from burned wood. This tar-like substance is extremely flammable and takes only slight contact with an open flame to ignite. When a chimney fire starts, it may be possible to treat the problem with salt, according to the National Fire Prevention Association. While salt can extinguish small fires, it should not be considered a fool-proof method to fight a chimney fire.
Call the fire department as soon as you notice the chimney fire. While the salt may extinguish small chimney fires, the fire department may be needed to help with larger fires.
Gather any salt you have in the home, whether it be standard table salt or rock salt. Pour the salt in a large bowl to make it easier to spread over the fire. If using rock salt from a large bag, it may not be necessary to dump it into a bowl.
Pour the salt into the fire chamber of the fireplace or stove. Continue to pour until the fire goes out or you run out of salt.
Evacuate the home immediately after you pour the salt. Stay outside until the fire department shows up and examines the chimney.
Baking soda may also be used to help fight a fire.
Do not attempt to extinguish a chimney fire with water as it may result in steam burns.
Kenneth Coppens began his freelance writing career in 2008. His passions in life consist of extensive personal research on food, gardening and finding natural and eco-friendly alternatives to nearly all aspects of life.