Mold is a common household problem that occurs in areas of high humidity or in areas where there is a water leak. Mold spores can trigger asthma and allergies, and toxic mold can cause people to become very sick. Cleaning mold from porous surfaces must be done carefully so that spores are not released into the air to spread to new areas. You must also thoroughly clean and seal porous surfaces that have had mold growth, to ensure mold will not grow back again.
Lightly mist the mold using a soapy cleaner to moisten the spores so they will not disperse into the air.
Sanitize the mold spores using a paper towel with a mold and mildew cleaner so they will not regrow at a later date. Press the paper towel gently into the areas infected with the mold so the cleaner can sanitize the spores.
Gently wipe away any visible mold spores.
Mist the porous surface with mold and mildew cleaner and let it sit for 15 minutes.
Repeat the sanitation process two to three times to completely kill all mold spores.
Let the sanitized area dry completely.
Seal the surface with a mold-inhibiting glaze or paint.