Cat owners often worry about the safety of the plants and flowers inside their home and in their garden. The rose, however, is a flower that is safe to have around cats.

Cat posing for on books and flowers
credit: Dragi52/iStock/Getty Images
cat beside rose bouquet

Potential

Two beautiful pink roses
credit: erperlstrom/iStock/Getty Images
two beautiful pink roses

Cats that ingest rose petals will not suffer toxic effects because the rose is not poisonous to cats, according to the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals. Ingested plant material often causes undesirable gastrointestinal symptoms, however.

Effects

Veterinarian Examining Siamese Cat
credit: Fuse/Fuse/Getty Images
cat with veterinarian

Cats that ingest rose petals may develop symptoms such as vomiting, diarrhea and depression, states Snik Snak.com. However, these symptoms should be short-lived and mild. Suffering from ongoing symptoms requires a visit to the veterinarian for proper diagnosis and treatment plan.

Prevention/Solution

Grandmother and granddaughter (6-8) arranging flowers in vase, smiling
credit: Rayes/Photodisc/Getty Images
woman making outdoor rose bouquet

Cats won't suffer from serious effects from eating rose petals, however, keeping them away from your plants is a good idea. Injuries can occur from ingesting the thorny parts of the rose bush and reactions to chemicals and pesticides can occur, as well. Keeping catnip or wheatgrass available for cats to nibble on won't harm cats, and may squelch the urge to eat other plants.