Mold is a fungus that can grow in damp areas in the home, such as bathrooms, basements and attics. It is an allergen that irritates the eyes, ears, nose and throat. Asthma sufferers are especially sensitive to mold. Once it takes hold in the home, it will grow, causing black stains on walls and furnishings. Eliminate mold as soon as you spot it in your home. After that, you can remove the stains it leaves behind.
Mix a solution to kill the mold. The solution should consist of 1 cup of white vinegar, 1 cup of 3% hydrogen peroxide (not the strong peroxide used to bleach hair, but rather the weaker version used as a disinfectant and sold in drugstores), and 2 oz. boric acid. Pour into a spray bottle and shake well to mix.
Put on a surgical mask. Spray the solution heavily onto the mold and a 1-foot surrounding area. Mold spores may have spread beyond the area where it is currently visible.
Let the solution stand for about ten minutes, and then wash off the dead mold using paper towels and water. Discard the towels immediately after use.
Spray the area one more time with the above solution, wait ten minutes, and then wash it off. All of the mold should have been killed by the boric acid-vinegar-peroxide mixture; however, this mixture is not a stain remover. A stain will remain wherever there was mold.
Mix a solution of 4 cups of water to 1 cup of chlorine bleach. Scrub the stain using scouring pads soaked in the bleach solution. Repeat this step as many times as necessary to remove the stain.
Eliminate the source of the dampness from your home if at all possible or the mold will return. If you can't find the source, or can't eliminate it, keep a close eye on areas where the mold appeared, and at first sight of new mold forming, use the above solutions to eliminate it.