If you have recently had a fire in your house, the resulting damage can be costly. One area of concern may be your clothing. With prolonged exposure to fire and smoke, it will have taken on its own smokey smell. If the clothes are in otherwise good condition, you can probably salvage them. Successfully removing the fire and smoke smell from your clothing at home is possible with quick and proper action.
Soak damaged clothing overnight in a solution of 1 cup of dish soap to 1 gallon of water.
Wring out your clothing, and machine wash with a liquid or powdered detergent. If your clothing is safe for bleach, try machine washing with equal parts of chlorine bleach and powdered detergent. According to the University of Missouri Extension service, it may take up to five washings to completely remove the remaining fire and smoke smell.
Take non-washable or severely damaged clothing to a professional cleaner. Dry cleaning the clothing may remove some of the smell. An ozone treatment performed by a professional fire restorer, however, may be your best chance for success.