Since mold is a fungus that thrives in damp environments, it is not uncommon to find mold growth on a bathroom ceiling. The bathroom is exposed to excessive moisture from the shower and is often not properly ventilated, producing high levels of humidity. These make ideal conditions for mold to grow. Not only is mold unsightly, it can also cause adverse health issues. It is important to remove mold from a bathroom ceiling to keep the room looking neat and to ensure the health of your family.
Open all windows in the bathroom prior to cleaning the moldy ceiling. If there is an exhaust fan in the bathroom, turn it on.
Wash the ceiling with a rag and warm, soapy water. A mild dish or laundry soap will work well.
Mix a solution of trisodium phosphate and water into a bucket. Use ¼ cup of trisodium phosphate for every gallon of warm water.
Scrub the ceiling with a stiff scrub brush dipped in the solution. Allow the ceiling to air dry completely.
Mix a solution of 1 part chlorine bleach to 2 parts warm water into a clean bucket. Dip a clean rag into the solution and wring it out lightly. Wipe down the molded areas of the ceiling with the bleach solution. Rinse and wring out the rag in the bleach mixture frequently while cleaning the ceiling with the bleach. Allow the bleach to soak into the ceiling for about 10 minutes.
Wait about 20 minutes, then go over the area with the bleach solution again. Wait 20 more minutes, then repeat the cleaning with bleach a final time.
Fill a clean bucket with plain, warm water. Go over the ceiling with a rag dampened with plain water.
Apply a stain-killing primer to the ceiling. Follow this up by applying a top coat of mildew-resistant latex paint.