Crawl spaces are typically dirty, dark, humid and moist, which makes the area a perfect breeding ground for mold and mildew. A crawl space that is filled with mold and mildew will have a strong musty odor. This musty odor can drift up into your home, filling it with an unpleasant smell. Fortunately, there are steps you can take to remove the mold and mildew from your home and stop the musty odor.
Mix 2 quarts of bleach, 1 oz. of liquid dish soap and 6 quarts of water. Pour the mixture into a clean spray bottle.
Wear a pair of rubber gloves, safety goggles and dust mask. With the spray bottle and a scrub brush, gain access to your crawl space.
Apply the mixture to all surface mold and mildew that is visible. Allow the mixture to sit for 10 to 15 minutes. Reapply the mixture and scrub the area with a scrub brush.
Spray the dirt of the crawl space with the mixture thoroughly. Mold and mildew may be growing in the dirt of the crawl space. Applying the mixture will kill any mold and mildew that may be growing in the dirt.
Set UV lamps in the crawl space. Run the UV lamps for 24 hours. UV lamps will kill mildew, mold and their spores. Never leave the UV lamps unattended.
Place several fans in the crawl space. The fans will circulate the air and ventilate the crawl space.
Purchase commercial deodorizer granules specifically made for yards and concrete. Sprinkle the granules throughout the crawl space to remove musty odors.