Things You'll Need
Sponge or Rag
Toothbrush or scrub brush
Mr. Clean Magic Eraser
Do not mix amonia with bleach. It produces dangerous fumes.
Mold is a fungus that grows in damp and musty places. Mold can cause health issues, especially for those with respiratory problems and allergies. When you first discover mold, you should promptly eliminate the problem. Mold sometimes grows in a reddish color, usually in bathrooms. To successfully remove red mold, follow one or two of the steps below.
Take proper precautions. You are dealing with mold and, depending on which method you choose, harsh chemicals. Wear safety glasses, a mask, and rubber gloves. Wear old clothes that can be disposed of if necessary. Make sure the room you are working in is as well ventilated as possible. Open windows, turn on exhaust fans and open doors. Take breaks frequently and get out into the fresh air. Do not ignore signs of faintness. Get out of the room and leave the job for someone else, possibly a professional.
Test on an inconspicuous spot. If you are unsure if any of the methods below may cause damage, test the product you will be using in an unseen area. Let it dry and determine if any damage was done to the surface. If not, proceed to the moldy area. If you see damage, use a different method.
Use bleach. If the red mold is on a hard surface, like drains, tiles, or fiberglass, mix one part bleach (chlorine or oxygen) with three parts water. Dip a rag or sponge into the bleach water and spread liberally over the moldy areas. Let it soak in for an hour. Follow up with a scrub brush. Dip your brush in the bleach water and scrub the mold until it is gone. Use a toothbrush or cotton swab for small, narrow spaces. Rinse with clean water when done. Repeat if necessary. You can also strengthen the bleach water to a mixture of up to one part bleach, one part water.
Use a commercial product. Some cleaners, usually in a spray bottle, are made and marketed to remove mildew and molds. Follow directions on the label to remove your mold. Generally, you spray the moldy area, wait a specified amount of time and then wipe clean.
Use Mr. Clean Magic Eraser. Wet the "eraser" and start scrubbing on the red mold. The mold should start to disappear. Rinse with water when finished.
You can also try white vinegar or plain cola to remove red mold. Pour some in a bowl, dip your rag or sponge in and soak the moldy area. In an hour, scrub the area with a scrub brush or toothbrush and rinse clean.
Melissa Lewis is a former elementary classroom teacher and media specialist. She has also written for various online publications. Lewis holds a Bachelor of Arts in psychology from the University of Maryland Baltimore County.