Working fireplaces are beautiful and can add instant ambience to a room. However, the hypnotic dance of the flames can sometimes come with a price. Stray embers and shooting sparks can scorch your fire's enclosure, leaving unsightly burn marks. If you have a stone or brick fireplace, use Coca-Cola as a non-toxic way to remove the damage. If Coca-Cola doesn't work, trisodium phosphate should do the trick.
Pour cola into the bowl and dip the scrub brush into the soda.
Scrub the burns with wet scrub brush, applying additional Coca-Cola as needed.
Rinse scrub brush and scrubbed area with clean water. Scrub the area again using plain water. Blot dry.
Trisodium Phosphate Method
Put on gloves and face mask. If you are accident prone, long sleeves, pants and closed-toe shoes are advised.
Combine 1 tbsp. of trisodium phosphate with 1 gallon of water.
Dip the scrub brush into the trisodium phosphate solution and apply to the burn mark.
Scrub the burn mark gently, wetting the area with additional solution as necessary.
Rinse area thoroughly and repeatedly with plain water. Blot dry.